Dayton Police Officer Takes Bullet To The Head, Stays In The Fight


When a Dayton police officer was shot in the head while responding to a call, he did not give up. Instead, he returned fire.

Fraud Complaint

According to the Dayton Daily News, the officer responded to a Dollar General’s fraud report around 6:45 p.m. at the Gettysburg Avenue store.

The officer took down the complaint, then went to Ingram Street to look for the suspect. It was around 7:24 p.m., according to DPD Department Interim Chief Matt Carper.

The officer located the suspect in the 600- block of Ingram Street. He told the suspect to stop. However, instead of following the officers’ instructions, the suspect allegedly struck the officer and tried to run away.

“The officer used his Taser on the suspect, who went to the ground, retrieved a handgun and fired at least one round at the officer, striking the officer on the side of his head.”

Chief Carper

Taken To The Hospital

Even though he was wounded, the officer immediately fired back at the suspect, hitting him multiple times. The officer was taken via patrol vehicle to the Miami Valley Hospital by a fellow officer.

According to Carper, the officer is in stable condition. The injured suspect was taken by ambulance to the same hospital and is listed in critical condition.

“What started out as a fraud call quickly turned into a senseless, violent attack on a police officer. Our prayers right now are with this officer and his family.”

Chief Carper

In a show of support for the injured officer, area law enforcement gathered at the entrance to the hospital’s emergency room. Law enforcement officials identified the suspect as 39-year-old Antwayne Deon Lowe.

The injured officer was Thadeu Holloway, who has been with the department for eight years.

Calm Under Fire

Carper commended Holloway for keeping his cool while the incident was unfolding. In bodycam footage, Holloway calmly asked for help for the suspect and himself as he lay in the grass bleeding.

He relayed his exact position and condition to dispatchers and can even be heard in the footage nicely asking those in the area to stay inside or where they were.

At first, Holloway did not want to leave the scene and was concerned about the suspect. Holloway said, “He still has a gun under him. Wait for more crews.”

Lowe will have charges filed against him, including counterfeiting and felonious assault on an officer.




Please help keep our comment section clean by flagging spam.

If your comment does not appear, please send us an email at [email protected] so we can fix it!

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x