American and Nigerian forces killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described by U.S. officials as the Islamic State's second-in-command worldwide, in a precision strike Friday in northeastern Nigeria's Lake Chad Basin, U.S. Africa Command confirmed.
AFRICOM Gen. Dagvin Anderson said the mission also eliminated multiple other ISIS leaders. No U.S. service members were harmed.
The operation marks the most significant counterterrorism result in the region in years and follows months of escalating American military involvement in Nigeria, where ISIS-linked militants and Boko Haram have terrorized civilians, particularly Christians, for more than a decade. For an administration that has backed up its words with force, the strike is the latest evidence that the current posture works.
What AFRICOM said happened
Gen. Anderson's statement, published on Stars and Stripes, laid out the scope of al-Minuki's role inside the terror network:
"As President Trump shared last night, AFRICOM in coordination with the Armed Forces of Nigeria, bravely and valiantly conducted a successful mission that resulted in the elimination of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, and multiple other ISIS leaders."
AFRICOM said al-Minuki served as the director of global operations for ISIS. He provided strategic guidance to the terror group's worldwide network on media operations, financial pipelines, and the development and manufacturing of weapons, explosives, and drones. The command also said he had a long history of planning attacks and directing hostage-taking operations.
Anderson added a blunt warning to anyone left in the network:
"Make no mistake, our two nations will relentlessly pursue and neutralize terrorist threats and are committed to protecting our people and interests."
The Nigerian military described the mission as a highly complex precision air-land operation conducted over three hours without casualties or loss of assets, AP News reported. Nigerian task force spokesperson Sani Uba called it the single most consequential counterterrorism outcome in the region since operations began in 2015.
Trump's role and the broader campaign
President Trump ordered the Friday strike and announced it on Truth Social late that evening. He described it as a "meticulously planned and very complex mission" and said U.S. and Nigerian forces "flawlessly executed" the operation.
The president's post also made clear the intelligence work behind the strike. As the Washington Examiner reported, Trump wrote that al-Minuki "thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing."
War Secretary Pete Hegseth put it more plainly: "we killed him, and his entire posse."
The strike did not happen in a vacuum. Earlier this year, Trump dispatched around 200 American troops to Nigeria to train Nigerian military forces battling Islamist militants. That deployment built on a prior troop deployment for military training aimed at strengthening Nigerian capacity against the same threat.
Before that, on Christmas Day, Trump ordered airstrikes against Islamic extremists in Nigeria. At the time, he warned that if militants "did not stop the slaughtering of Christians, there would be h*** to pay."
Friday's operation delivered on that warning.
Who was al-Minuki?
AFRICOM identified the target as Abu-Bilal al-Minuki. Some reporting, including from Newsmax, used the name Abu Bakr al-Mainuki. U.S. officials described him as the Islamic State's global number two, a figure who sat at the intersection of ISIS's operational planning, financing, and weapons development.
His portfolio was broad. AFRICOM said he oversaw attack planning, hostage-taking, and the group's financial operations. He also guided media strategy and the manufacturing of drones and explosives. A U.S. official told AP he had been plotting attacks against the United States and its interests.
Analysts cited by AP noted that al-Minuki's exact rank within ISIS's global hierarchy cannot be independently verified. That caveat matters, but the scope of the roles attributed to him, and the fact that the operation also killed multiple other leaders, suggests a significant disruption regardless of precise title.
The security situation in northern Nigeria has been in disarray for more than a decade. Boko Haram and the Islamic State of West Africa Province have carried out sustained attacks on civilians, military targets, and Christian communities. The New York Post reported that Trump said al-Minuki's death would diminish ISIS's global operations.
The U.S.-Nigeria partnership
Gen. Anderson said the mission underscored the value of a growing U.S.-Nigeria partnership. The operation was coordinated with Nigerian President Bola Tinubu and overseen by AFRICOM after Trump's approval.
On the ground, that partnership has a visible footprint. At a training site in Jaji, north of the Nigerian capital, U.S. Army soldiers have been sharing tactics and training with more than 200 Nigerian Army soldiers. The approach, building local capacity while maintaining the ability to strike high-value targets, contrasts with the sprawling, open-ended occupations of previous decades.
This model of targeted action paired with partner-force training has shown results elsewhere. The administration has demonstrated a willingness to use force decisively, whether in the Strait of Hormuz or in the Lake Chad Basin, while avoiding the quagmire of permanent deployments.
What remains unanswered
Several details remain unclear. AFRICOM did not specify the exact location of the strike within the Lake Chad Basin. The command did not say how many "multiple other ISIS leaders" were killed alongside al-Minuki, nor did it identify them by name. The specific U.S. and Nigerian units involved in the operation have not been disclosed.
AFRICOM also did not provide independent evidence, beyond its own statements, for its description of al-Minuki's role and history. That is standard for these announcements, but it means the public is relying on the command's characterization.
The broader counterterrorism picture in West Africa also raises questions. ISIS and its affiliates have proven resilient. Killing leaders disrupts networks but does not dissolve them. Whether this strike produces lasting degradation of ISIS operations in the region, or whether the group adapts and reconstitutes, as it has before, will be measured in months, not days.
The threat from Islamic extremism remains active both overseas and at home. The administration's willingness to act on intelligence and hit targets where they hide is the right posture. But the fight does not end with one strike, no matter how consequential.
The administration has also been recalibrating its counterterrorism footprint in Syria, which makes the Nigeria partnership all the more important as a model for how the U.S. projects force without overextending.
The bottom line
For years, ISIS expanded in Africa while the world's attention drifted elsewhere. Northern Nigeria became a killing ground, and the international response was slow, fragmented, and largely rhetorical. The militants filled the vacuum.
Friday's strike reversed that pattern. The president gave the order. American and Nigerian forces executed it. A senior terrorist and his circle are gone. No Americans were lost.
That is what deterrence looks like when leaders mean what they say, and back it up.

