A massive Russian air attack involving missiles and drones slammed into Kyiv early Thursday, killing at least 14 people and marking one of the deadliest assaults on the Ukrainian capital in months.
According to Breitbart, the strike, one of the largest of the war, shattered weeks of relative calm in the city center and came as peace negotiations between the United States and Russia showed signs of stalling.
According to Ukraine’s Air Force, the assault included 598 drones and decoys and 31 missiles launched at various targets throughout the country. In Kyiv alone, authorities reported damage across 20 locations in seven districts.
Emergency services confirmed at least 14 people were killed, including three children aged 2, 14, and 17. Forty-eight others were injured. As of Thursday afternoon, 10 individuals were still unaccounted for as search and rescue operations continued among debris and collapsed buildings.
Among the hardest-hit areas was Kyiv’s eastern Darnytskyi district, where a five-story residential building took a direct missile hit. Nearby, a downtown shopping mall sustained structural damage as shockwaves shattered thousands of windows across the city.
Civilians Caught in Attack With Devastating Consequences
One resident, 21-year-old Sophia Akylina, described how the blast damaged her home. “It’s never happened before that they attacked so close,” she said.
Another resident, Oleksandr Khilko, assisted with pulling survivors from the wreckage of a building where his sister lives. He said he saved three people, including one young boy. “It’s inhuman, striking civilians,” Khilko said. “With every cell of my body, I want this war to end as soon as possible."
The Ukrainian Air Force said its defense systems neutralized or destroyed 563 incoming drones and decoys, along with 26 of the 31 missiles. Still, the breadth and coordination of the attack made it one of the most extensive air assaults since the invasion began more than three years ago.
National Infrastructure and Railways Also Targeted
Ukraine’s national railroad operator reported delays and rerouted trains due to damage in the Kyiv and Vinnytsia regions. The extent of disruption highlights the growing impact of air assaults on Ukraine’s civilian infrastructure.
The Kremlin used a mix of ballistic and cruise missiles in Thursday's barrage, along with decoy drones, according to Kyiv city administrator Tymur Tkachenko. The strike marked a return to large-scale aerial attacks on Kyiv after weeks of relative quiet in the capital.
The timing of the attack also attracted attention, coming shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin met in Alaska earlier this month to discuss possible steps to end the war.
Diplomatic Efforts Struggle to Gain Momentum
Despite early optimism following the Trump-Putin meeting, progress has been minimal. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed frustration over a lack of follow-through. “All deadlines have already been broken, dozens of opportunities for diplomacy ruined,” he said.
Zelenskyy called for tougher international sanctions against Russia if diplomatic channels remain stalled. "Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table," he added, urging the global community not to remain silent.
Former President Trump on Friday voiced impatience over the delays, stating that he expects to decide on how to proceed within two weeks if direct discussions with Moscow are not confirmed.
Russia Responds to Drone Assaults on Oil Targets
In a separate development, Russia’s Ministry of Defense reported neutralizing 102 Ukrainian drones overnight, focusing largely on southwestern Russia. Meanwhile, Ukrainian drone strikes reportedly led to fires at two Russian oil refineries — Afipsky in the Krasnodar region and Novokuibyshevsk in Samara.
These operations mark part of a broader Ukrainian effort to target Russian oil infrastructure, an approach aimed at straining the Kremlin’s war economy. Fuel shortages and price increases have been reported in parts of Russia as a result.
Back in Ukraine, tensions heightened as military commanders said Russian troops had advanced into an eighth region of the country, underscoring persistent challenges on the battlefield even as leaders publicly discuss the desire for peace.
Ongoing Emergency Response and Calls for Peace
Rescue efforts continued late into the day on Thursday, with emergency personnel sifting through rubble in search of both survivors and the missing. The scale of the destruction added urgency to calls for a lasting cease-fire.
"We expect a response from everyone in the world who has called for peace but now more often stays silent rather than taking principled positions," Zelenskyy said, criticizing what he described as global inaction in the face of escalating violence.
For residents like Khilko and Akylina, the immediate hope is that the worst is over — but the trauma of the attack remains. “Negotiations haven’t yielded anything yet,” said Akylina. “Unfortunately, people are suffering.”